Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Amy Belle Smith: Eighth Grade

This gentle lady had charge of 8th grade math at Kuser. It was in her class where I set a record. I had been on the honor roll every marking period in every year until I was exposed to long division and equations; the latter subject being the introduction to algebra. I didn't fail Mrs. Smith's "Arithmetic" class, but I didn't maintain the "B" or above average to maintain honor roll status. Mrs. Smith's hobby was collecting bells. She had an enormous collection. She attributed her interest in bells to her middle name of "Belle."
In an email to me, Lorraine Feehan May reminded me that
"Miss" Smith was "Mrs." Smith. She wrote:
I remember Mrs. Smith, Miss Lacy, and all the teachers at Kuser. Mrs Smith taught us how to cast out nines. Anyone else remember that?

THANKS TO RAY BELL OF GROVEVILLE

FOR THIS LONG SOUGHT PHOTO OF MRS. SMITH.




No comments: