Sunday, May 17, 2009

1953: Sandy Stintsman DeAngelo, Kuser Kat from the class of '53

Tom,
Just to let you know this is one reader you carried back to Kuser School memories and I'm sure there are many others. I've been meaning to let you know how much I enjoy your columns. I lived one street over from you on Edwin Ave. with my Mom & Dad and two brothers , Sam and Bill Stintsman. I think my Mom was the Avon lady for awhile back then and used to walk over to Hartley Ave. In fact, I was in the same grade as your younger brother, Donnie. We went all through Kuser School and on to HHW where we graduated in 1957 so I guess I graduated from Kuser in 1953. I remember Emily C. Reynolds was the Principal and I do remember Ruth Margerum as well. I enjoyed your columns about Plaag's Grove too (that's what we called it) and sneaking in with my girlfriend Anita Plaag when they were having parties. What great times we had! And then I think you wrote about McKeown's(sp?) corner store on Sylvan and Cedar Lane where we used to get penny candy and I remember that's where I waited for the bus when I got my first job downtown between my junior and senior year of high school. You also mention Don Slabicki and I think the Peterson brothers too although I was a bit younger and didn't know them very well.
Keep the columns coming - I enjoy all of them.
Sandy De Angelo

No comments: